RUG REPAIR at ABC
Area Rug Repair
We offer an extensive area rug repair service on our premises. When your rug, whether hand or machine-made, arrives at our plant a
portion of our pre-inspection procedure includes suggestions of any repairs
that could be done to enhance the beauty and value of your rug. These are
suggestions only, based on our understanding of the fiber and construction of
each individual rug and are offered as an optional service.
All work is done by trained technicians on our premises.
Each rug will be individually assessed and will be priced according to the
amount of time and materials involved.
Occasionally, a customer may wish to just have repairs done
on a particular rug or rugs. We would be happy to oblige, but for the health
and safety of our staff, we require all rugs to be cleaned in our plant before
any repairs can begin. Besides exposing our technicians to possible bacteria, rugs often become compacted with dust and dirt particles that
can make them extremely difficult to work on.
Any repair we suggest on a handmade rug will be as true to
the weaver’s original design as we can while retaining as much of the rug’s
value as possible following the repair. Repairs to a machine-made rugs can
significantly enhance the beauty and usability of that rug.
of Rug Repair!
ABC-3 generations rug repair
TYPES OF RUGS CAN BE REPAIRED
Although we specialize in oriental rug repair, our work is
not limited specifically to handmade oriental rugs but to any number of area
rugs, handmade as well as machine-made, including but not limited to:
- Navajo Rugs
- Zapotec Rugs
- Hooked Rugs
- Belgian Wool Rugs
- Karastan Rugs
- Courestan Rugs
- Custom Rugs
TYPES OF REPAIRS AVAILABLE
End Work including
- Hand Overcast-The rug is unraveled to the last undamaged row of pile. An interior hand stitch is inserted, locking into the foundation to secure the weft line (left to right) to create an even fringe not foreign to the rug.
- Hand Fringe Reinsertion-Warps (top to bottom) are re-inserted into the foundation to replicate the original fringe.
- Hand-Sewing of a Pre-woven Fringe-To stop any further unraveling and to make the rug look presentable, a pre-woven fringe can be hand-sewn on to the end of either or both ends of the rug. This fringe can be easily removed, allowing the rug to be restored in the future if desired.
Side Work including:
- Hand and Machine Serging-A hand-sewn stitch can be applied, which binds the edges (sides) of the rug, protecting it from unraveling. NOTE: A machine stitch is intended for temporary use only and is not recommended for hand-made rugs.
- Cloth Binding-This is a procedure generally used for cut area rugs. A cloth binding is machine-sewn on to prevent fraying of the rug.
Holes/Tears repair includes
- Patch-A hole can be patched with another oriental or area rug with a similar design but will almost certainly not be an exact match.
- Hand Re-weaving-This is a labor-intensive type of repair utilizing similar wool, silk, and cotton as originally used in a particular rug.
Miscellaneous repairs include:
Rug to Size
of Edges on Rug
Removal~~Heat-seaming of a Rug
Stripping Application to Edge
Scrim on Hooked Rug
(Squaring) of a Rug or Tapestry
Application for Hanging Rug or Tapestry
For a more in-depth explanation of our repair offerings,
please continue reading here.
As always, if you have any question, please call
our office at 607-272-1566. We will be happy to help you.
Top of Rug Repair at ABC
Back to Articles
Back to Homepage
"The Cleanest Clean You've Ever Seen."
ABC Oriental Rug & Carpet Cleaning Co.
130 Cecil Malone Drive Ithaca, NY 14850