How to Choose a Reputable
Carpet Cleaning Firm
Not all carpet cleaning firms are alike. In fact, the difference in the quality of service from one cleaning service to another can be astounding. With so many claims, counterclaims, and diversity of equipment and technology available, how do you go about choosing the right carpet cleaning person or firm? It can be difficult because there are usually many choices available. The following are a few guidelines to follow that can help you make the correct choice:
- Schooled and Trained Professionals. Carpet cleaning is an ever-changing field. Good PROFESSIONAL carpet cleaners keep abreast of such changes and constantly improve the services they offer. Make sure the carpet cleaner you choose is professionally schooled and trained and ask whether that schooling is updated on a regular basis. The finest equipment alone does not guarantee results.
- Association with Professional Organizations. Affiliation with professional trade associations goes a long way. All members of the carpet cleaning company then have access to technically correct and unbiased information on cleaning and restoration. The carpet cleaning company will possess high professional standards and will abide by the Code of Ethics of the organization. If a problem develops during cleaning, expert advice can be obtained from the association's technical personnel. Therefore, the logo of a trade association, displayed proudly in the carpet cleaner's advertisements, trucks, etc., should mean a lot to you. It should generate confidence in the carpet cleaner. Look for such affiliations in the cleaner you choose.
- Customer Reviews & Recommendations. Ask the carpet cleaning company for names of previous customers. Gauge how reluctant or eager they are at granting your request. Call or text the references, if possible, and find out about their cleaning experience. Ask about the cleaner's appearance, manner of presentation, condition of equipment, ability to answer questions, etc. Find out if the overall cleaning experience was pleasant and would they go back to the same firm. Don't forget to go online to review sites such as Google, Yelp, etc. for more information.
- Watch Out for the Low End. Misleading (often fraudulent) advertising and glib sales tactics leave those cleaning companies who offer quality service at a disadvantage. Advertisements promising carpet cleaning at unbelievably low prices are prevalent these days. If you think they are too good to be true, you are probably correct. Have you been left with an over wet and still dirty carpet? Have you ended up paying several times more than what you thought you would be paying? If yes, then you have had first-hand experience with such cleaners. Quality service requires investment. It is not possible to offer good service at ridiculously low prices. Do not fall victim to low pricing or 'bait and switch' tactics. At ABC, we stand behind the quality of all areas of our services. We want you to feel comfortable enough to call us again when your wall-to-wall carpets need cleaning. We will remind you each year to assess whether you need a thorough cleaning or a cleaning of just the major traffic areas in your home or business.
- You Can Contribute to the Success of a Cleaning Job. Cleaning compounds and procedures can be altered to fit the specific needs of the carpet being cleaned and the home or business owner. Describe the use conditions of the carpet and all previous home and professional cleanings to your professional cleaner. For example, if the carpet has been cleaned with a shampoo process several times before, it is reasonable to expect the presence of some detergent residue. With this information, your cleaner may change the cleaning solution to compensate for this. If your carpet has spots and stains, point them out to the cleaner. Tell the cleaner how long they have been there and what may have caused them. Some spots and stains like those from bleaches, urine, mildew, etc., may be impossible to remove even by the most proficient cleaner. Knowing about them will prevent disappointments resulting from unrealistic expectations. Do not remove furniture protectors placed under furniture legs until the carpet is completely dry. Mahogany, redwood, and other kinds of wooden furniture can bleed permanent color stains onto carpet. Metal legs may rust if placed on floor coverings that are still wet.
- Protect Your Investment. Carpet and upholstery are probably among your most precious possessions. Chances are you have spent a good deal of money acquiring them. Protect your investments and take the time to find the right cleaner. You would be surprised at the number of problems that can develop from a poorly performed cleaning job. Even though choosing the right cleaner won't guarantee the complete absence of problems, it will greatly reduce the chances. Selecting a good and reputable carpet cleaning firm will ensure the highest level of satisfaction.
Why Choose ABC?
We at ABC believe we fulfill all the requirements of a reputable, dependable, professional cleaning firm.
- Our technicians are schooled and trained in every facet of cleaning and they attend schools to update their learning on a regular basis.
- We are members of ARCS (Association of Rug Care Specialists).
- We subscribe to all the major service magazines.
- All of our cleaning equipment is constantly maintained and updated according to the latest developments in the field.
- We can provide you with a list of satisfied customers in your area upon request and would be happy to do so.
- We appreciate any opportunity to visit with you and look forward to serving you.
Like all textile materials, the beauty and life of a carpet depends largely on the care it is given. Proper maintenance can add years of attractive life. Specific maintenance procedures for carpet are determined by the characteristics of where the carpet is installed. In general, though, proper maintenance involves regular vacuuming and periodic cleanings by professional methods.
While vacuuming maintains the surface appearance of a carpet and keeps the level of soil in the pile at an acceptably low level, it can only remove particulate soil and surface dirt. Therefore, other methods of cleaning are periodically required to improve the appearance of the carpet.
The 'hot water extraction' or 'steam cleaning' method of carpet cleaning is usually better than other methods at removing oils, grease, and other forms of matter that cause soiling on carpet. It is best used by professional cleaners with trained personnel and equipment that is up-to-date and specifically designed for the safety of your indoor environment.
Our technicians come to your home or business fully equipped to perform whatever method of carpet cleaning (hot water extraction/steam cleaning, dry cleaning, etc.) is best for your particular situation. You can be assured they will provide you with the best possible service, backed by years of training and experience.
We stand behind the work we do. Our intention is to give you an experience you will be happy to repeat the next time your carpets need cleaning.
Do-It-Yourself Carpet Cleaning?
Like most decisions, the choice between having a carpet cleaned professionally and doing it yourself is frequently based on financial considerations. Electing to use a rental unit rather than a professional cleaner may end up being 'pennywise and dollar foolish.' Before deciding to 'do-it-yourself,' several points should be considered:
- Carpet cleaning is an intricate process. Carpet cleaning by 'do-it-yourself' methods may not enhance the appearance to the desired level. Consumers, in most cases, have had little or no previous experience operating the machines.
- There is a good possibility of misuse and/or overuse. Machines that can be rented for 'do-it-yourself' cleaning, such as shampooing and/or hot water extraction or 'steam' cleaning, can leave some residue on the carpet. If the carpet is shampooed many times, the residue can accumulate, leading to various problems, such as severe foaming on later cleanings, stickiness, an increased attraction to soil, etc.
- Successful cleaning by rental machines is largely dependent on the experience of the operator. Improper use can leave the carpet overly wet, causing possible backing delamination, odor from development of mold/mildew fungi, cellulose browning, color run, shrinkage, and other related problems. This can happen, especially in areas of repeated high volume use, or 'traffic areas.' One or two passes of the cleaning wand may not be sufficient to enhance the appearance of such areas. Attempts to clean them over and over again can cause over wetting and its attendant problems.
- 'Do-it-yourself' cleaning by the dry-absorbent compound method will not cause such problems as over wetting, color run, shrinkage, etc. But it, too, can mean some headaches. If the final vacuuming operation is not thorough, some of the powder will be left in the carpet pile. With repeated cleanings, enough cleaning compound can accumulate to cause some discoloration by its own presence.
- The obvious conclusion is that carpet cleaning by 'do-it-yourself' methods is not a substitute for professional cleaning. It can, at best, merely postpone the need or reduce the frequency of professional cleanings. Rental units lack adequate power and consumers usually lack the expertise to succeed in properly maintaining carpet and prolonging its attractive life.
What to Expect from Our
On-Location Carpet Cleaning Technicians
ABC has long been the market leader in carpet cleaning, tile and grout cleaning and sealing, upholstery, and oriental rug washing in this area. Our staff members are proud to display their extensive credentials and continuing education regarding all textiles. We are prepared to give cleaning care advice backed by our staff's expert knowledge. ABC has been setting the industry standard and exceeding customer expectations for over 50 years.
Our Carpet Cleaning Technicians are individuals who are knowledgeable and certified through educational organizations and who demonstrate an understanding of the following elements:
- All methods of carpet cleaning and the proper conditions and situations in which to use them.
- The ways in which chemicals affect textiles, dyes, spots, indoor air quality, carpet warranties, and individuals.
- Identification of fiber types and basic construction of carpet, rugs and upholstery.
- The industry guidelines and proper cleaning procedures for the various types of fiber.
- Strong customer relations.
- Impeccable moral and ethical standards.
Our On-Location Carpet Cleaning Technicians utilize the industry's finest equipment and cleaning processes, purchased and maintained by our Certified Firm, to provide the most thorough cleaning for the carpets and upholstery in your home or business.
We offer the following:
- Free written estimates.
- A description of carpet problems with a knowledgeable explanation of these problems and possible solutions.
- A fresh clean carpet with little to no residue left in your carpets, keeping them cleaner - longer!
- Special attention to spots and heavy traffic areas.
- Moving of furniture (if desired) with the care it deserves. Please note: If furniture moving is excessive or unusual, there may be an extra labor charge applied.
- All furniture is put back into place with pads or styrofoam blocks to ensure against furniture stain migration into the carpet.
- All Technicians must pass and maintain certification requirements of certification organizations such as the International Association of Rug Care Specialists (ARCS), as well as in-house requirements and testing.
- Our trucks are equipped with environmentally safe cleaning solutions to handle a variety of situations and needs.
- A healthier indoor environment for your family and pets.
- We also offer a variety of stain protectors to ensure future protection against accidental spills.
- We stand behind all the services we offer. Any concerns or dissatisfaction expressed regarding the cleaning should be called in to our office as soon as possible. We will be happy to inspect and assess the problems and concerns immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions About Carpet Cleaning
Please click here for more Carpet Cleaning FAQs.
For our Green Cleaning and Environmentallly Responsible policies, please click here.
Top of Carpet Cleaning
Back to Articles
Back to Homepage
"The Cleanest Clean You've Ever Seen."
ABC Oriental Rug & Carpet Cleaning Co.
130 Cecil Malone Drive Ithaca, NY 14850