In a previous article on how to remove spots and spills using household ingredients (What's In Your Green Cleaning Arsenal?), we discussed 7 spotting solutions for your carpet. (Please refer to that article for more detailed instructions for mixing.)
They are as follows:
1. Ammonia – 1 TBL of clear household ammonia with ½ cup water.
2. Bleach – Hydrogen peroxide or sodium perborate (Clorox II) – NOT chlorine bleach.
3. Detergent – 1 drop of Liquid Joy dish washing soap in a cup of lukewarm water. Use less Joy or more water to reduce any chance of too much suds if using Ultra Joy.
4. Dry Cleaning Solvent – Carbona or K2R in small amounts. NOT gasoline lighter fluid or tetrachloride.
5. Enzyme – Powdered enzyme detergent such as Era or Biz.
6. POG – Paint, Oil, and Grease remover from hardware store.
7. Vinegar – 1/3 cup of white household vinegar with 2/3 cup water.
1. BLOT - Blot up spills with clean, white, absorbent materials such as towels, napkins, tissues, etc. BLOT thoroughly after each application before going to the next solution.
2. REMOVE SOLID BUILT-UP MATERIALS - Remove carefully with a rounded tablespoon, spatula or the edge of a dull knife.
3. DO NOT OVERWET - Use small amounts of the cleaning solution and blot frequently. Always blot, do not rub.
4. WORK FROM THE OUTER EDGE TO THE CENTER - This will prevent rings and help to not spread the spot or spill into more of the area.
5. BEGIN WITH STEP #1 - Treat area with each spotting solution
until spot in removed. It may not be necessary to complete the entire
series of steps.
6. ALWAYS BLOT AFTER EACH STEP - For the FINAL STEP – gently rinse the area with water and then absorb all the remaining moisture with absorbent material. One way to accomplish this is to place a good amount of absorbent material on top of the area. Then place a heavy object on the material (one that does not have color and won't bleed back into the area). Leave for 24 hours, replacing the absorbent material periodically.
A blood spot contains albumin, fat, and iron. It is reddish when fresh but dries to a dark brown color with an irregular edge. Use the 6 steps above in combination with the 3 solutions listed below to remove the blood.
1: Cool detergent solution
2: Cool ammonia solution
3: Enzyme detergent
BE PATIENT. Some spots respond slowly.
NOTE: If there is still a residue of blood after following the above instructions, total removal may require professional help. If so, please feel free to call or text ABC at 272-1566 for more information.
For more detailed information on the many different spots that can be removed with the above procedures, Click here to download your FREE copy of our ABC Spot Cleaning Guide.
Did you know that our ABC Responsible Care Spotter can get those pesky spots out of your carpet and rugs and will work equally as well on your clothes and upholstery?
Stop by our office and pick one up. They are $5.00 + Tax but if you have carpets or upholstery cleaned in your home or business, just request a free one from your Technician.
And don't forget to fill out the form above to download your free ABC Spotting Guide!
The Standard of Excellence
ABC Oriental Rug & Carpet Cleaning Co.
is a FOUNDING MEMBER of the
of Rug Care Specialists.
"To Teach, Cultivate and Advance the Art and Science
of Rug Care"
GIFT OF CLEAN!
Why not think 'outside the box' and give
a Gift Certificate for professional carpet, upholstery, or tile
& grout cleaning from ABC for any special occasion!
Does a special person have a favorite area rug or oriental rug that needs cleaning or repair? Just give us a call. You'll make their day!
Bring in the mats from a car and we'll clean them as well.
Contact us if you live in the Ithaca, NY or surrounding areas and we will tailor a special gift certificate just for you for any Special Occasion.